IG Protect me from Dino Melaye – Remi Tinubu; EFCC grills pilot who flew N1.299b cash for Fayose & Obanikoro; Lawyers & judges are slowing down Nigeria’s anti-corruption war – Buhari; $2.1b arms scandal: ‘I collected N100m approved by Jonathan’ – Okupe; ABA militants vow to declare Niger Delta Republic on August 1st; EX-IGP Arase took away 24 police vehicles – Acting AIG Ibrahim; IG Protect me from Dino Melaye – Remi Tinubu: The petition . . .
IG Protect me from Dino Melaye – Remi Tinubu
Senator Oluremi Tinubu has written a petition against Senator Dino Melaye. In the petition with reference number SOT/Vol.2/135 which was addressed to the acting Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, and dated July 18, 2016, the senator, who is the wife of the National Leader of the APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, said Melaye threatened her life on the floor of the Senate last week.
She said Melaye had a penchant for violence as he had engaged in fisticuffs with his colleagues when he was in the House of Representatives between 2007 and 2011. The complainant alleged that a particular lawmaker had even died after being beaten up by Melaye. She, therefore, urged the IG to protect her from harm.
IG Protect me from Dino Melaye – Remi Tinubu: The petition
EFCC grills pilot who flew N1.299b cash for Fayose & Obanikoro
A pilot has told the EFCC how he flew a former Minister of State for Defence, Mr. Musiliu Obanikoro, with N1.299 billion cash for Ekiti State Governor, Ayo Fayose. Capt. Ahmed Bashir Borodo said the cash was wrapped with green military tarpaulin bags before it was loaded onto the chartered aircraft registered HS125-800 5N-BMT, owned by Gyro Air Limited.
He said the bags were so heavy that only three people could carry one at a time. Also, the General Manager of Gyro Air Limited, Mr. Jide West, has disclosed that about $25, 200 was paid for the two chartered flights from Lagos to Akure and Akure to Abuja.
EFCC detectives grilled Borodo and West during the weekend The session was part of the ongoing probe of Fayose for allegedly receiving the N1.299billion slush funds from Obanikoro through his associate, Abiodun Agbele.
Lawyers & judges are slowing down Nigeria’s anti-corruption war – Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari on Monday said the judicial arm of government was yet to perform its functions to the satisfaction of Nigerians given the reforms brought about by the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA). The president stated this at the National Judicial Institute (NJI) Abuja, while declaring open a Workshop for Nigerian Judges organized by the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC) in conjunction with the NJI.
The President also said the Judiciary must take steps to ensure that it was not perceived as being partisan. He said Judges must be aware of the sensitivities of the public and take steps towards avoiding even a shred of a doubt regarding their independence.
“In justice, integrity is a necessity. Hence, Judicial Officers and all other members of this sector must always demonstrate manifest integrity,” the president said. He advised the judiciary to be in the forefront of efforts to develop rights-based jurisprudence as an element in the multi-disciplinary approach advocated in the fight against corruption.
He also said as an arm of government, the judiciary had a role to play in the fight against corruption by enforcing the applicable laws.
Photo L-R: The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mahmud Mohammed; President Muhammadu Buhari; Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee against Corruption, Prof. Itse Sagay; Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami; President, Commonwealth Judges and Magistrate Association, Justice John Vertes and the Administrator, National Judicial Institute, Justice Rosaline Bozimo, at the International Workshop on Criminal Justice Administration, Development and Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, in Abuja on Monday | NAN
$2.1b arms scandal: ‘I collected N100m approved by Jonathan’ – Okupe
Former Senior Special Assitant, SSA, (Media and Publicity) to former President Goodluck Jonathan, Dr. Doyin Okupe, has admitted collecting more than N100million from the Office of National Security Adviser(ONSA) under the embattled Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd.). Okupe said part of the cash was a N10milion vote to furnish his rented apartment.
The ex-President approved the release of the funds from his security vote, Okupe said. He also faulted the EFCC for making his heart-related challenge, called sinus bradycadia, public. Okupe and his companies are under probe for allegedly receiving N162million illicit payments to him and his companies by Dasuki and Chanchaga Local Government Area in Niger State.
ABA militants vow to declare Niger Delta Republic on August 1st
Adaka Boro Avengers (ABA) said on Sunday that it had concluded arrangements with other militant groups to declare the Niger Delta region an independent republic on August 1. The militant group also gave the Federal Government an ultimatum to withdraw its personnel and establishment from the region before the date of its declaration of independence.
It also ordered all northerners and people of the South West to vacate its territory. ABA, in a statement issued by General Edmos Ayayeibo, its spokesperson, mandated the Federal Government to use the three weeks’ notice to “move out all military personnel and all government agencies out of the Niger Delta,” and warned that “failure will lead to destruction of military barracks and personnel.”
“We, the Adaka Boro Avengers and all the freedom fighters in the Niger Delta region have met and come to a conclusion that we are declaring the Niger Delta Republic three weeks from today July 18, 2016. So we are by this notice calling on the Nigerian government to move out all military personnel and all government agencies out of the Niger Delta. Failure will lead to destruction of military barracks and personnel . . ., the group said.
EX-IGP Arase took away 24 police vehicles – Acting AIG Ibrahim
The immediate-past Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mr. Solomon Arase, on Monday, denied the allegation by his successor, Acting IGP Ibrahim Idris (photo: below), that he (Arase) took away 24 police vehicles while leaving office. Reports say that Idris, yesterday, in an interaction with some reporters in Abuja, alleged that from preliminary investigations, the former IGP Arase alone took 24 vehicles, while some of the retired Deputy Inspector-Generals of Police (DIG) also went away with quite many.
He said the police had already written to Arase and others to return the vehicles they took, as the former IGP was entitled to only four vehicles. However, reacting in a statement from London, where he is billed to attend the graduation ceremony of his son, Arase expressed shock over the allegation. He wondered why Idris, who could have sent him a “text message”, decided to address the media on the issue. He also denied receiving any letter from his successor on the development.
Arase said: “I suspect there must be a disconnect somewhere because every information needed by my successor are provided in my handover notes. “I’m also not aware that any letter was written to me because if there was any dropped in my house, someone would have alerted me.
Paul Le Guen is the new Super Eagles coach
The Technical and Development Committee (TDC) of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), on Monday, named Frenchman, Paul Le Guen as the new Super Eagles head coach, subject to agreement on personal terms. Addressing newsmen in Abuja on Monday, a member of the technical committee, Paul Bassey said Le Guen is to be assisted by Salisu Yusuf and Imama Amapakabo. Alloy Agu is the goalkeeper’s trainer.
Meanwhile, President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick has reassured of the desire of his federation to see the country qualify for the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup. Speaking to journalists, Monday, after a meeting with members of the technical committee of the NFF, Pinnick said the decision to get a quality coach was taken after the failure of the national to qualify for the 2017 African Cup of Nations (AFCON).